- Traditions of the European universities and experience of the Lithuanian higher education;
- Orientations of the European universities, highlighted by the Bologna Declaration;
– traditional heritage of VMU AA, works of its famous scientists and their precepts for the future generations;
- Democracy, Christian and other universal values;
- Countryside as important and inseparable part of economic, social and cultural life of country and its regions, centre of ethnic culture and space for recreation.
Value attitudes of the Academy:
- Openness, partnership and integration into international area of research and studies;
- Service to the own state;
- Adequate reaction to changes and challenges;
- Steady learning and improvement;
- High culture, professional ethics and responsibility;
- Perfection of the University activity as a continuous process;
- Attitude to the student, main actor of academic process;
- Attitude to every member of the University community and to his/her initiative.
We, VMU AA community, are creating and disseminating scientific knowledge, sincerely striving for safe and healthy food and full-fledged living environment for every citizen of Lithuania.
Our steps to this major aim include:
- Training of leaders and development of their ability to create and share their knowledge, endeavour and desire for continuous improvement;
- Creation and dissemination of biological, engineering and social technologies, advanced knowledge and experience in sustainable use and development of land, forest and water resources;
- Fostering of achievements and long-standing traditions of University activity, building our work on the most important professional and universal values.
University is open to challenges and changes, adopts the best experience of the world class universities, develops internationality, serves own country, seeks continuous improvement and leadership among the universities of the same area.
MAIN STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS
- Improvement of studies and promotion of graduates‘ employment focusing on high quality and updated studies as well as needs of students and employers.
- Quantitative and qualitative development of scientific activity, which integrates research for studies, fundamental and commercial (applied) research and PhD studies.
- Increasing internationalization by stimulating openness in studies and scientific activity.
- Active development of knowledge dissemination in the society and versatile life-long learning.
- Increasing the impact on economic and social processes, focusing on identification and solving of national (regional) problems.
- Increasing attention to the University community, so that every staff member and student felt the need and had the possibilities of improving.
- Development of infrastructure and environment to make the University campus nice and attractive for studies, work and residence.
- Improvement of image and communication to reveal uniqueness and progress of the University.
- Development of internal quality assurance system and improvement of organizational culture.
OUR TOP AWARDS AND ACIEVMENTS
National award for the best research achievements in technological sciences in 2012 (prof. dr. Prutenis Petras Janulis, prof. dr. Violeta Makarevičienė, dr. Eglė Sendžikienė for research “New raw materials and methods for the production of biodiesel fuel“).
The best Lithuanian dissertation in Environmental sciences, 2011 m.(dr.Žydrūnas Preikša “Diversity of cryptograms in old forests of different intensity of use“)
VMU AA- national leader in dissemination of research knowledge (largest in Lithuania international fair “Ką pasėsi” and third by importance national fair “Solution circle”, World plowing contest in 2007, International Food and Agriculture fair “Agrobalt” in 2008, 14thEuropean Championship of Stag Callers in 2012)
Leader in innovation partnership. VMU AA is the initiator, founder and leader of an unique in Lithuania Agriculture and Food Science, Study and Business Valley “Nemunas”.
VMU AA is the only health promoting university in Lithuania.
Number of students. At present about 5000 undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD students are studying at the University.
Number of staff. Research and teaching staff of the University consists of 400 people, including 200 professors and associated professors.
Academic faculties and institutes. Faculty of Agronomy, Faculty of Economics and Management, Faculty of Forestry and Ecology, faculty of Water and Land Management, Faculty of Agricultural Engineering. The new structure since October 2012 has introduced 14 research and study institutes within all five faculties. They replaced former 28 academic departments.
Infrastructure. University is situated in the area of 719 ha, it has 5 academic buildings, experimental station, training farm, academic campus for students and faculty. The academic infrastructure is being modernized with a number of recent projects funded by the EU funds. A very modern example is a new research centre just completed in September 2012 which is accommodating the Joint Research centre and a large number of very modern world class laboratories as open access centres. All academic buildings provide 40 auditoriums, 42 classrooms, over 100 laboratories, library with the funds of 600 thousand books.
Maecenas: UAB „ROVALTRA“, UAB „LYTAGRA“, UAB „DELAVAL“, UAB „DOTNUVOS PROJEKTAI“, UAB „BALTIC AGRO”, UAB „ARVI“ IR KO, UAB “AGROCHEMA”, UAB “DOJUS AGRO”, UAB :BIRŽŲ ŽEMTIEKIMAS”, UAB”IVABALTĖ”, UAB “AGROKONCERNAS”.
International partnerships. ASU cooperates with more than 120 foreign partners (universities, their departments, scientific, research and business institutions), participates in the EU Erasmus, NOVA-BOVA network of agricultural universities in Nordic and Baltic countries, Leonardo da Vinci, the EU Sixth general research programs as well as programs and international scientific projects supported by other international funds and foreign governments. Within the EU Erasmus programme the University is partner to over 70 European universities.
Membership in international organisations. VMU AA is a member of 11 international organizations.
Statistics (2016 01 01):
|Undergraduate extramural studies||1493|
|Teaching support staff||166|