CONCORTIUM COORDINATED BY VYTAUTAS MAGNUS UNIVERSITY TOGEATHER WITH ESTONIAN PARTNERS AND THREE ALGERIAN UNIVERSITIES IS STARTING IMPLEMENTATION OF ERASMUS + CAPACITY BUILDING PROJECT FOR DEVELOPING QUALITY ASSURANCE SYSTEM IN HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS
The European Union grant of EUR 834.590 is awarded to the ERASMUS + Higher Education – International Capacity Building project “Internal quality assurance system for agriculture and biosystem engineering related HEI of Algeria” submitted by the consortium of six universities including Aleksandras Stulginskis university as project coordinator and Vytautas Magnus University from Lithuania (both universities after the merger make one university as from the 1st of January 2019 and actually Vytautas Magnus University will coordinate the project) , Estonian Life Science University and three Algerian universities, namely the National Higher Education School of Agronomy (Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Agronomie d’Alger (ENSA)), the National Higher Education School of Hydraulic (Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Hydraulique, Blida (ENSH)) and the National Higher Education School of Biotechnology (and Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Biotechnologie Taoufik Khaznadar (ENSB)). The project shall run for 36 months as of 15-11-2018 and shall end on 14-11-2021.
The project reflects the priority of Algerian Government to implement the quality assurance system in higher education. This system was not in place till now. The HEI’s are having as a target to set up their institutional quality assurance systems and to put in place all necessary measures.
The main objective of this project is to enhance the management, governance and innovation capacities, as well as the internationalization of HEIs. Project is national joint project. Three Algerian HEI’s in the field of agriculture and biosystem engineering, as beneficiary partners, in collaboration with partners from Lithuania and Estonia will work on:
- offering new institutional capacity in internal quality assurance system (IQAS) within recipient HEI. This system will be developed by local Algerian experts previously trained in European partner institutions;
- transfer of European experience for local staff during training sessions in European universities and following update of skills in real case situations in implementing and testing the IQAS at home institutions;
- Algerian partner institutions will get the guidance and piloting in preparing self-evaluation reports and will go through external pilot evaluation by an European evaluation institution with the following sharing of experiences and lessons among partners and other stakeholders;
- exploitation of project results will include transferring of project recommendations to national policy makers in higher education contributing to the national policy and methodology of quality assurance in HEI in Algeria.
Specific objectives of the project:
- To develop internal quality assurance system (IQAS) within recipient HEI based on European and international standards;
- To build adequate capacity of recipient HEI to implementing IQAS;
- To prepare recipient HEI for external evaluation by the Algerian Ministry of Education;
- To contribute to the national policy of quality assurance in higher education.
Project activities are structured in 5 Work Packages. Their cover activities, with methodologies and main outcomes as follows: