Doctoral PhD studies
Vytautas Magnus University has a distinct advantage which is connected to its young, promising doctoral students. Ph.D. studies at VMU open up unique possibilities for academic research and studies, which contribute to the development of a future generation of highly qualified specialists. Graduates of doctoral studies of VMU are capable of conducting independent scientific research and experimental (social, cultural) development, not to mention solving hot-button issues of Lithuanian, European and global science.
Fields of studies
Agriculture Academy of Vytautas Magnus University strengthens its scientific potential and has the right together with other institutions to execute doctoral studies in 8 scientific fields:
- Social sciences: Economy, Management;
- Natural sciences: Ecology and Environmental Science,
- Agricultural sciences: Agronomy, Forestry;
- Technological sciences: Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Transport Engineering.
Forms of studies
Two types of doctoral studies differing in duration and intensity are available at VMU: full-time (4 years) and part-time (6 years).
People are admitted to doctoral studies on the basis of an open competition. The competition for admission to the doctoral studies takes place once a year – in June or September (depends of the science field). The most important criteria are:
- Published or accepted to be published scientific publications;
- Scientific research project that details out what the applicant plans to research during his/her studies. It should be around 5-12 pages long;
- Grade point average of the master’s diploma;
- Grade point average of master’s diploma;
- Motivational interview in which all the applicants must participate (life or via Internet). Usually conducted in the end of June or in the middle of September (depends of the science field).
- Diploma of master’s degree or qualification adequate to it, its annex/supplement;
- Notarised translation of the master’s degree diploma and its supplement into the Lithuanian language;
- Document recognizing the qualification acquired abroad issued by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education of Lithuania;
- 2 letters of recommendation;
- Scientific publications (if there are any) and their copies;
- Project of scientific research;
- Copy of ID document.
- Admission rules are announced every year at the end of June or at the beginning of July (depends of the science field);
- Motivational interview is conducted during last week of June or first two weeks of September (depends of the science field);
- Announcement of a list of invited candidates is made at the end of June or at the end of September (depends of the science field);
- Announcement of the list of invited candidates is made at the end of September;
- Beginning of the studies is 1st October.
Tuition fees in all the science areas are:
- 9449 EUR per year for full-time studies;
- 6229 EUR per year for part-time studies.
For motivated students scholarships may be provided depending on the particular situation upon presenting a motivational letter explaining the circumstances why the scholarship should be provided.
Requirements during the studies
During his/her studies, one should implement these conditions:
- To take approx. 5 subjects (30 ECTS);
- To write and publish at least 2 scientific articles;
- To participate in at least 2 conferences (one should be international);
- To write a dissertation.
- VMU AA Central Building, room 227, Studentų St. 11, 53361 Akademija, Kaunas district.
- Phone +370 37 752254
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web-page: https://zua.vdu.lt/en/
- Donelaičio str. 52 – 303, LT-44248 Kaunas
- Phone +370 37 209 815
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Web-page: vdu.lt/phd